Tamil Nadu is known especially for its blue beaches and sunny skies. Some of south India's spectacular beaches More...


Places of Interest

GangaiKondancholapuramSri Brahadeeswarar Temple : This temple is popularly known as Thanjai “Periya Koil”  [Big Temple]. The Great Chola Emperor Raja Raja Cholan I [985-1012], dedicated this temple to Lord Siva in the year 1010 AD . This temple celebrated its 1000th year of existence in the year 2010. It is located amidst fortified walls presumed to have been added in the 16th century. This great temple speaks about the architectural excellence of the region. The Tower above the sanctum Sanctorum is 216 feet tall. This tower is one of the tallest tower of its kind in the whole world. Kumbam or chikaram a bulbous structure above the tower cut out of one rock, weighs almost 80 tons is regarded as the show case of the Architectural Excellence of the period. It is believed that the Cupola/ Sikaram was rolled up the incline built from the Village called Saara Pallam now called as Vayalur more than 5 Kms from the temple. The tower and lifting the Cupola to the top is a testimony to the engineering skill of the Chola Architects who planned its construction in such manner that the shadow of the Cupola does not fall on the ground. 12 ½ feet tall, 8 feet long and 5 ft wide sacred bull or Nandi made out of a single rock weighing 25 tons, is installed outside, in front of the sanctum Sanctorum. The Lingam is 13 ft tall, with a circumference of 54 ft. Contact Temple office on Telephone No . 04362-274476 for further details.

The Palace : It is just 1 km from the Big Temple. Little fort and Big fort are the two forts in this town. The Thanjavur Palace is situated in the Big Fort. This fort was raised by the Vijayaraghava Nayak dynasty in a sprawling 110 acre area. The Palace complex houses the temple of Lord Chandra Mauleeswara. It is a grand pile of fascinating buildings with huge corridors, spacious halls and decorated rooms. Important structures are : The Arsenal Tower, Bell Tower and Darbar Hall. Arsenal Tower 190 ft tall with eight floors was constructed during Marathas rule. It was used for storing Arms and Ammunition and also served as a watch tower. Bell tower is situated on the Northwestern side of Arsenal Tower. It is also called as “The wide holed ear pavilion”. There was a novel clock forming a part of this structure in which a monkey doll used to strike the gong every hour.



1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14


Tamil Nadu History

The history of Tamizhagam goes back about 5000 years... More...

Chettinad House

Chettinad- The Land of Heritage & Devotion It is a place that enchants and enhances the soul. More...


Tamil Nadu is a land of many festivals. January marks the beginning of the festival season in the state. More...

An Official Website Of Tamilnadu Tourism Development Corporation and Department Of Tourism Tech Support: Soft Source Technologies